This was kid approved! I am diligently NOT packing at the moment and am looking for any and all excuses to avoid it. I made this for breakfast and it was a big hit. My husband ate his with some sriracha, but I thought it was awesome all by itself . It is a great combination of sweet and savory together. This might be great with some eggs for Thanksgiving breakfast or even on its own as a side dish.
- 1lb uncured bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces (my favorite is Trader Joe’s because it is so thick)
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped (about 1cm pieces)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1cm pieces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt (or test it and use what you would like to accommodate your tastes)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a skilled over medium-high heat until cooked to desired crispiness. Remove onto a plate with paper towel.
- Remove about 1/3 cup of the bacon fat from the pan (I take the excess and save it in the refrigerator for my use with cauliflower mash https://infertilitythouartaheartlessbitch.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/cauliflower-mash-awesomeness/)
- Add the sweet potato and parsnip to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion and continue to saute for about 15 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender.
- Add the bacon back to the pan and combine. Cook for about a minute until everything is a uniform temperature.
- Serve as a side dish or under eggs for a great breakfast.