- 1/2 cup pureed yellow flesh sweet potato (peel and cube one medium yam and steam until fork tender, then put into a food processor)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup tapioca flour (plus 1/4 cup extra for working with the dough at the end)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup lard, melted (or avocado oil, coconut oil, butter, or ghee)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the mashed yam, salt, and tapioca flour in a large bowl. Use a mixer or your hands to break apart the yam and combine with the flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, lard, and milk together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a mixer or a spoon.
- Transfer half of the dough into a pie pan or plate. The other half of the dough can be frozen or refrigerated for use at a later date. Have your extra tapioca on hand. If the dough is too sticky to work with, use a bit of the tapioca flour.
- With your hands, flatten the dough and spread along the bottom of the dish and up the sides. Try to make sure that the dough is thin. It should only be about 1/8 of an inch in thickness. the top of the dough that gets the most exposure can be a bit thicker.
- Pierce the dough with a fork all over the bottom.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it and remove it when the top is JUST starting to brown.
- Let it cool for a bit before adding pie or quiche filling.