My 7yo just went on a field trip to pick apples, and he declared that we needed to bake with them. This was the result of that demand. They turned out great. They are dense, like gingerbread, but got the seal of approval from both father and son.
- 2 medium honeycrisp (or other desired apple)
- 2 Tbsp butter or ghee + 3 Tbsp butter or ghee, melted
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup raw organic honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Core, peel, and cut the apples into small pieces (whatever you would want to find in your muffin). In a pan, cook the apples in 2 Tbsp butter or ghee with the cinnamon until all of the moisture has cooked off. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the butter, honey, molasses, and eggs with a hand or stand mixer.
- Mix all of the wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in the apples.
- Prepare a muffin tin with parchment muffin cups
- Pour equal amounts of mixture into each one (about 2/3 or 3/4 full)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness.